Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wasps used to be my favorite word...okay, it still is

I had almost forgotten what fear feels like. Until today.
I was driving home when out of nowhere a giant, yellow WASP landed on my dashboard. My windows were up, so it had been in the car with me. Eek!
I've never been stung by a bee, but I was stung by a wasp once. I will never forget that day. I will also never forget the time my cousin, Joseph, got stung by a wasp on his bare chest. I had never before and have not since seen him freak out like that. Wasps, although a favorite word of mine, are not a favorite creature of mine. It's amazing how something as small as an insect can illicit such a great response.
I immediately rolled down my window, hoping the wasp would get carried away. Of course, my fear was that the wasp wouldn't fly out the window but rather into my face. I wanted to pull over, but I couldn't come up with a good exit strategy quick enough.
Just when I had figured out a plan, the wasp flew and landed on the steering wheel. WHY?! Now, I definitely didn't know what to do.
I was freaking out inside, but I didn't dare flail my arms like I wanted. There was no way I was going to disturb this frightening creature.
When I turned left into my neighborhood, the wasp disappeared. I don't know for sure if it went out the window. I pretended it did and tried to calm down. Of course, there was always the chance it was still in the car and that it was going to land on the back of my neck.
I couldn't get home fast enough. I bailed out of my car as fast as I could.
I will have to do a detailed inspection of my car from the outside before I can get in it again.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

How scary. I'm glad I'm not you. Or maybe you're lucky. So maybe I wish I was you.

(But I'm glad to be me, too!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails