Tuesday, July 20, 2010

E pluribus unum

Today I got a package together for my grandfather. The purpose of the package was to send him this picture.

He's cute. Isn't he?

I've been working on my family history since November. It accelerated in December when I went down South for a visit. It has been a wonderful yet very challenging adventure. There is still one line in his 4th and 5th generation that I'm not certain is correct, but I wanted to get it in the mail. I don't know how long it'll take to figure it out. It took me over a month to get information about his 3rd generation in that line.
A strange feeling came over me when I merged his 5 generation with his picture. It was so fascinating to see how many lives came together to produce the life of my grandfather.
The post I wanted to publish last week but couldn't involved me realizing how the decisions that others had made negatively affected the life I lived. I missed out on relationships, because these others had severed relationships with these people before I could form them and enjoy them.
However, when I looked at this picture, I realized that because of the decisions that all these people made, my grandfather exists. And because of his decisions, I exist.
And as painful as my realization was the other day, I can't help but also realize how so incredibly blessed I am to live now, to live in these circumstances, to have these experiences, and to create my own relationships. I have been a part of so many lives by choice and by chance.
I can only imagine how my choices will affect those I meet and those I one day mother. I wonder whose picture could be merged with me as his great-great-grandmother.


See what others did today at communal global.

2 comments:

Anita Johnson said...

What an interesting post. I've often felt the same way looking at photos from my past. Some of the faces I know well and others are a complete mystery. Your grandfather will love the package when he opens it! Thanks for your comment on my commnal global post too

Tezzie said...

What a wonderful thought provoking 'today'. What a sweet thing for you to do for your grandfather...he's sure to appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails